Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Background information can be found in:
- class materials
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
Background research serves many purposes.
- If you are unfamiliar with the topic, it provides a good overview of the subject matter.
- It helps you to identify important facts related to your topic -- terminology, dates, events, history, and names or organizations.
- It can help you to refine your topic.
- Background research might lead you to bibliographies that you can use to find additional sources of information on your topic.