Background information can be found in:
- class materials
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
Background research serves many purposes.
- If you are unfamiliar with the topic, it provides a good overview of the subject matter.
- It helps you to identify important facts related to your topic -- terminology, dates, events, history, and names or organizations.
- It can help you to refine your topic.
- Background research might lead you to bibliographies that you can use to find additional sources of information on your topic.